Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Year Ago

Today's blog really has nothing to do with Guatemala. But, it is about me being here, sort of. It was inspired by a blog post by the wonderful Katie Melick, and I hope she won't hate me for stealing her idea. :)

This weekend marks another May, a entire year since graduation. In May of 2009, it felt like there couldn't possibly be life past college, hah. In May of 2010, my brain can't decide what it feels. In some ways, it's like I never left Williamsburg. Yet, it amazes me when I realize that last May I had no idea what the next year had in store for me.

To practically plagiarize from Katie, Just one year ago, I had no clue how much I would do in just a year.

A year ago, I had no idea I'd spend time living in New York City.

Or in Birmingham, Alabama.

Or in Guatemala. For an entire year.

I had no idea I'd end up loving each of those places in their own very different ways.

I didn't know that along the way I'd (finally) find myself on a career path I loved and felt was exactly right.

I didn't know I'd be learning to cook from a website full of recipes.

Or teaching a waltz.

Or speaking Spanish all day long.

Just a year ago, I hadn't even met some of the people I now keep in touch with best.

And I hadn't spent much time thinking about what I was good at and what I'm really not good at.

A year is nothing. I know that. It flew by. Just one year. But, I think, that if you do it right, you can also pack a lot of real, substantial, impacting experiences into 12 months -- so that when you look back on them you think, "Wow. All of that happened in just one year?"

Wonder what I'll be saying in May 2011. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment