Monday, January 17, 2011

MIS Niñas

When you first get here, you start out referring to your assigned section of kids just like that -- an assigned section of kids. You probably call them the kids, the boys, the girls, the section. "The girls made me this sign. I'm eating dinner with the the boys. I ran into the section in Parramos."

And then one day, I have no idea exactly when this happens, but one day you wake up and you start calling them the boys/girls/section a lot less, and you start using mis a lot more. Mis. Mine. My kids.

"Last night was so funny with mis niñas. Mis niños got in trouble again. Be sure to take care of mis niñas."

It's not a conscious decision to sound obnoxious to outside listeners. It just happens. They're yours, and you're theirs. And the just starts to sound weird. Too stuffy.

Yeah, definitely mejor, mis.

No comments:

Post a Comment