Thursday, December 16, 2010

No More Mush


This blog post has been a long time coming. Leeah and Katie, are you paying attention? :)

First, let me break down the breakfast situation here in Guatemala.

Cereal is expensive. Granola bars are even more expensive. Milk comes in boxes and tastes a little bit weird. We don't own a toaster. I don't get myself out of bed early enough to make eggs or an omelet before I get myself to work. Gosh, it's a hard knock life.

The result: I eat mush for breakfast every single day. Every. Single. Day. For the past 12 months (it will be exactly one year on Sunday).

Mush is basically demoted oatmeal. We can buy a pound of it in Parramos for 3-5 Q (40 to 60 U.S. cents), and that can last you around a week. From there: Pour flakes of mush in a bowl, add a little powdered milk (not too much -- that's expensive too) and boiling water, and mix. Add in sugar, cinnamon, peanut butter (yes, peanut butter), or berries. Eat and enjoy.

So in case you've been wondering about the gourmet breakfast foods I'm enjoying this year, now you know. Three hundred and sixty five days of mush...and counting. I think I might never want to see a bowl of oatmeal again after this year, hah. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment