Wednesday, January 27, 2010

No Hay Corriente



“Mañana, no hay corriente en todo el hogar de 7 a.m. hasta approx. 14:00.”

What a great sign to come home to last night. Wow, we are really on a roll this week with the utilities.

Yesterday it was the water freak out, and today “There is no electricity in the entire home from 7 a.m. until approximately 2 p.m.” Yay.

I’m writing this at 8:33 a.m. on my quickly dying laptop, and really, things could be worse. (Sidenote: For the first time in their lives, the Guatemalans were exactly on time. As soon as the clock hit 7:00, out went the lights.) Anyway – no, I won’t be doing much work today without a computer, internet, or way to recharge the camera, but I’ve actually been surprised at how easy it’s been to not have electricity (although it’s only been an hour and a half – so I guess I shouldn’t speak too soon).

So far, I have a serious new appreciation for:

-The thinly-curtained windows in our room. Normally, these let in every annoying speck of light while we are trying to sleep in, but today, that sunlight was crucial for getting dressed.

-And, our gas-powered stove! Normally, I almost have a heart attack every time I have to light a match and stick my hand into that flame of gas around the burner, but now, I think I realize that those stoves are actually pretty awesome.

Alright, time to save some battery power. See ya when the lights come back on!

No comments:

Post a Comment