Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Honduras Smells Like Pine Trees

I've blogged about the smells of Central America before. Apparently, that's what sticks with me in this part of the world. Who'da thought?

And while I only have about two weeks under my belt here at Rancho Santa Fe in Honduras, I already associate this place with a smell.

Pine trees. Pine needles. Lots of 'em.

The weird part isn't that this place smells like pine trees. They're everywhere on the property, so any idiot with a nose would agree with me. The funny part is what else I associate with pine needles, and as a result, what else I am now randomly associating with the Ranch.

Walking along pine-covered paths reminds me of Callaway Gardens. It's a place I used to go for family reunions every summer as a kid. I haven't been there in...shoot, at least 10 years...but I swear, the smell of pine trees takes me right back. It was the first thing I thought of my first day on the Ranch.

Wanna know the only other time I've had this same pine-tree-Callaway-Gardens flashback?

The first time I ever visited William & Mary's campus. My dad and I drove 10 hours for a campus tour, I took two steps along those pine-covered old brick pathways, and I immediately thought,  "Hmm, smells like Callaway Gardens."

Ranch. Pine. Callaway. College. (I feel like there's a "What has search overload done to us?" commercial on loop in my brain.)

That sense of smell -- sure is a weird one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment