Thursday, November 24, 2011

Carrie Daut Is Not A Baker (Part 1)

Alright people, it's Thanksgiving. And we're trying to do it right from our little corner of Honduras.

Tonight, the gringos are getting together for a huge Thanksgiving feast. The menu will supposedly include turkey (!), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, homemade pies, and more. It sounds so legit, doesn't it???

Since tonight's cena is a group effort, each person signed up to bring a plate. Celeste and I are teaming up, and we signed our names next to mashed potatoes and rolls. Simple enough, right?

We managed to purchase both real potatoes AND snag a box of instant ones at the grocery store (great find!), but the rolls have been a little trickier. The refrigerated Pillsbury type are nowhere to be found (we should have known better), and dragging back bags and bags of possibly-stale bread from Tegus just doesn't sound fun.

Our solution? Homemade crescent rolls from scratch. Can it really be that hard?

Can we really be that clueless?

(Note: If you know me at all, you know I am allergic to the kitchen.)

Anyway, blind to my own ineptitude, I did a trial run last night. It turned out...hmm, let's just say that it could have been worse and it could have been better. (At least we got one thing straight: instant yeast and active dry yeast are not the same thing. Katie Dowd, I can hear you laughing from here.)

This afternoon, we'll pick up the challenge where we left off. Wish me luck, and remind me to never attempt anything, from scratch, ever, ever, ever, again.

After a few adjustments, the dough finally rose!

Dough, I really really hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment