Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why Working in a Restaurant -- For Now -- Doesn't Totally Suck

Alright, so I'm waiting tables. No, it's not a career move, it's not something "I've always dreamed of doing," and it's certainly not something I plan on doing for the rest of my life. But for right now, it was a good decision. And it's actually a lot more work than I ever gave people credit for.

I'm in a period of downtime and refueling, and waiting tables works well for that. Plus, it doesn't totally suck, and here's why:

- I'm getting exercise? I do a lot of running around, lifting things (buckets of ice, bins of chips, pans of salsa), and very little sitting down. Oh, and laugh if you want, but the plates we use are heavy! Seriously, I think my arms are getting bigger and my thighs are getting smaller. Nice.

- I get to practice my Spanish -- a LOT! That's not something I thought would happen back in good ol' Kentucky.

- I have a very flexible schedule.

-I bring home cash. However, I do feel a little weird going to the bank every week to deposit lots and lots of $5 bills...

- When I find myself in a new city in the near future and am totally broke and jobless (again), I'll at least know I can fall back on my waitressing experience to keep me from starving. Because apparently, in today's economy, you can't even get a freaking restaurant job without prior work experience.

- And lastly, serving tables is basically...a rite of passage. I don't think you're really allowed to say you were ever young and broke...unless you've waited tables.

And that's me, trying to look on the bright side of things. Hip hip hooray.

No comments:

Post a Comment