Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We Knew How to Pick 'Em

I haven't thought much about high school in a while. In fact, I probably stopped really thinking about high school once freshman year of college got going and intense love and pride for a new school took over.

But now, now that I'm once again living in the place I haven't really lived in, well, since high school, I'm understandably brought back to those days a little more often.

Don't get me wrong, I liked high school. Heck I loved high school while I was in it. But looking back, we did stupid things and thought stupid things and believed we were "living the best days of our lives" haha -- when, in fact, we hadn't really experienced much of anything. (Yes, I realize that when I'm 50 I'll be reciting these very same words about my twenties.) I guess, in a lot of ways, I've just liked putting high school behind me. Who doesn't?

But there is something I don't think I gave our teenage selves enough credit for: friends. We knew how to pick 'em.

Now that I'm back in Louisville, I still see Greg every day or so because we work together, and I still walk next door to kill time at Emily's just as much, if not more, than I did during high school. Last Wednesday "the four of us girls" -- our high school clique, if you will -- shared margaritas and Mexican food. On Saturday night, a different six of our gang went out, including Michael, who I probably hadn't seen since high school. And this weekend at a wedding, we'll see even more people.

Every time I come home from one of these get-togethers, my first reaction is always, "Wow, it was SO good to see them! I'm surprised how much fun that was!" And my second reaction is, "Wait, why am I surprised?" Like I said, we knew how to pick 'em, and I think I sometimes forget that.

I've been halfway around the world and back a couple of times, so I'm certainly not the same high school Carrie (Thank God). But I guess there's still a little bit of her in me (And I'm okay with that). Changing, but not totally forgetting where you've been, I think that's called growth. That makes you human.

And having some people who stay fairly constant along the way? Hmm. I think that just makes you lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment