Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Beans: Red vs. Black

In Guatemala, we ate a lot of beans. And by "a lot," I really mean "A LOT." I wish you could hear the all-caps-bolded-also-underlined exaggeration in my voice. Seriously, mucho beans.

At NPH Honduras, we eat beans too. Not nearly as much, but they're still a staple food. Except there is one huge difference.

Guatemalans eat black beans -- most commonly known as the beans you (I) probably order in your (my) Qdoba burrito. Yumm.

Hondurans eat red beans. Weirdos.

To the untrained eye, you may not be able to see much of a difference between the back beans and the red beans.



(You do, however, probably notice that plates from NPH Guatemala and NPH Honduras show a striking resemblance!)

I promise you though, the bean difference is a big deal. Celeste and I came across canned black beans the other week in the grocery store. We almost bought them, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend my fragile stipend on...beans.

Help. I'm spending my time blogging about cross-cultural bean issues. Someone mail me a Qdoba burrito STAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment