Monday, July 19, 2010

Elotes Locos!

Friday night, the leaving volunteers threw a Despedida extravaganza. They organized a giant bonfire (thank goodness the rain was on our side and held out!) and elotes locos for everyone.

Elotes locos, you ask?

They're awesome, can be found all over the streets of Guatemala during corn season, and Friday night's despedida was the first time I'd had one. I'm now hooked.

Elotes locos are just corn on the cob -- but messier and delicious-er. The bright yellow corn is shucked and then cooked, either grilled or boiled. Then you set out the toppings -- mayonnaise, ketchup, chile, and cheese -- and go crazy. You can jab a wooden stick into one end to seem a little more proper while eating it, but there's really no avoiding the fact that your hands and face will be covered in elote loco within seconds.  Trust me though, it's well worth the mess.

I'm telling you, seriously drool-wrothy. YUM.

Victor and the fire, haha

Tonio!

Katherine and Celeste with their elotes!

They're ridiculous.

Yohana and Celeste -- and elotes locos!!

So much elote.

Leeah and I snag our own elotes locos. ...My hand is awkward...

Elotes locos with the girls.

They really wanted a picture of me eating my first elote loco.

Super excited photo!

Me and Juana.

No comments:

Post a Comment